The University of Trento promotes the constant enhancement of the quality of its Departments and Centres, study programmes, research, and third mission, using the tools indicated by the AVA framework (internal QA, external QA and accreditation of the Italian university system) and as part of the Quality assurance policy of the University
In order to give a contribution to the Department’s Quality you can send an email to segnalazione.studenti.math [at] unitn.it
Quality Assurance of Teaching and Learning
The Department of Mathematics implements its own quality assurance policy in line with the Quality Assurance Framework of the University and ANVUR’s guidelines.
Departmental Organisation of Quality Assurance
The actors in the Quality Assurance Framework in the Department are listed in the Organisation of Quality Assurance section
Sources and instruments
The bodies responsible for the quality assurance of teaching and learning periodically monitor the learning objectives achieved in the degree programmes and the general quality of courses based on:
- data provided by the Monitoring, Statistics and Policy Development Unit on student progress
- statistical data on career perspectives and employability from various sources (the Almalaurea database, studies, studies conducted by the Department or by the University's research groups)
- surveys of student opinions on the quality of teaching and learning at UniTrento
- student feedback and requests submitted through the Joint Student-Teacher Committee
- feedback from the graduates of the programme of study
The following documents are drafted periodically:
- Annual Monitoring Report
- Annual Programme Report (SUA)
- Periodic Programme Review
- every 3 years for undergraduate programmes
- every 4 years for Master's programmes
The Programme Review Panels/Self-assessment Panels meet from one to three times every year, and draft:
- the Annual Monitoring Report
- the Annual Programme Report (SUA)
- the Periodic Programme Review.
These documents are discussed by the Department Council.
The Joint Student Teacher Committee
- evaluates every year the degree of student satisfaction with teaching and learning and their learning experience
- meets periodically to discuss teaching issues
- drafts the Annual report and submits it to the Department Council
Student Feedback on Teaching and Learning
The students of the Department of Mathematics can help identify and address any quality issues concerning academic or support services provided by the Department, and report any inappropriate behaviour, through:
- the student representatives in the Department Council and in other bodies
- the coordinator of their degree programme
- or by email to segnalazione.studenti.math [at] unitn.it.
All reports will be forwarded to the relevant person and treated in a confidential manner.
Other university bodies that students can contact are:
- The Student Ombudsperson, who is available to all students and can help with relations with teaching and technical-administrative staff
- The Committee for Equal Opportunities, Well-Being at Work and Against Discrimination, which works to promote and protect equal opportunities and well-being in the working environment among the University’s staff
- The Confidential Counsellor, who is in charge of preventing, managing and helping to resolve any cases of bullying and sexual harassment occurring in the workplace or study environment brought to her attention.
For information and suggestions concerning student and support services you can contact:
- the Academic and Student Support Services, for admissions and enrolment, tuition fees, study plans, registration for exams, degree award, interruption of studies, withdrawal, transfer to other universities or other programmes
- the International relations division for Erasmus+ and double degree programmes, bilateral agreements, internships and thesis research abroad
- the Tutoring service for tutoring and student support in the different disciplinary areas, and access to services
- the Job Guidance Office for curricular and postgraduate internships:
- the University Language Centre – CLA, for language courses and tests
- the Test Center for ECDL, GMAT, TOEFL certificates
- Opera universitaria for scholarships, university restaurants, accommodation
- the Inclusion Service for support services for students with disabilities and special needs
- the University Library for library services, loans, e-books and digital resources, dissertation writing.
Research and Third Mission Quality Assurance
The Department uses different instruments to monitor and promote the quality of research outputs produced by its researchers and research groups:
- defines the objectives of research
- evaluates the results obtained in the different research areas based on the following indicators;
- number and importance of research projects that have been presented and funded;
- publication of articles in national and international journals and/or the national and international rankings of scientific publications provided by relevant scientific communities;
- number and importance of seminars and conferences organized;
- participation in national and international conferences and other research dissemination events;
- participation in conferences, workshops, seminars, schools:
- participation in programme and editorial committees in relevant scientific communities:
- international faculty exchange programmes for visiting professors:
- ability to attract external funds for research:
- collaboration with industrial and social partners.
The Delegate for Third Mission at the Department is Prof. Nadir Murru.
Organisation of Quality Assurance
Actors in the Quality Assurance Framework
The Director coordinates the Department's teaching and scientific policies and ensures their implementation, represents the Department, presides over the Council and the Executive Committee and enacts their decisions.
Delegate for Quality
The Delegate for Quality promotes the constant monitoring and enhancement of the Quality of Teaching and Learning, Research and Third Mission at the Department, while ensuring constant coordination between University and Department on QA processes and initiatives.
The Delegate for Quality at the Department is Professor Claudio Agostinelli
The Council is the collective body of the Department and is the body with overall responsibility for quality assurance.
Actors in the Quality of Teaching and Learning
Joint Student-Teacher Committee
The CPDS (Commissione Paritetica docenti-studenti) and ensures the widest possible representation of students from the Degree Programmes it offers. The Committee:
- monitors the quality of study programmes and of teaching and learning
- identifies indicators for the evaluation of programme performance
- expresses its opinion on the activation of new and/or discontinuation of existing study programmes
- reports the opinions and views of students to their representatives for each study programme.
- are responsible for planning and revising the programmes of study
- are responsible for drafting the Annual Programme Report (SUA-CdS), the Annual Programme Reviews and the Periodic Programme Review
- carry out effective monitoring regarding programme performance, ensuring that
- actions proposed during previous reviews are implemented
- learning objectives are periodically reviewed
- programme learning objectives are monitored.
- act in a timely manner to address any issues.
The Programme Coordinator of the Bachelor degree in Mathematics is Prof. Andrea Pugliese.
The Programme Coordinator of the Master of Science in Mathematics is Prof. Stefano Bonaccorsi.
Subject Area Coordinator
Subject Area Coordinators coordinate the Self-Assessment Panels and quality assurance policies and procedures for all the programmes of study in their subject area.
He oversee the drafting of the Annual Monitoring Report and the Periodic Programme Review and, in case of issues, ensure proper action is taken.
Programme Review Panels
These panels hold the primary role in the monitoring and conducting the internal review, as they implement the review process. They shall consist of the following members:
Programme Review Panel of the Bachelor degree in Mathematics
- Prof. Andrea Pugliese (Bachelor's degree Coordinator and Delegate for teaching activities)
- Prof. Alessandro Perotti
- Camilla Gislimberti (Bachelor's degree student)
- Serena Trevisan (Bachelor's's degree student)
Programme Review Panel of the Master of Science in Mathematics
- Stefano Bonaccorsi (Master of Science degree Coordinator)
- Nadir Murru
- Cecilia Torboli (Master of Science's degree student)
- draft the Annual Monitoring Report
- draft the Periodic Programme Review
- in case of critical issues, propose actions to address them.
The main role of student representatives is to report on any problematic issues and suggestions from students relating to improving the teaching and learning experience.
They also ensure full transparency and disclosure of information.
They participate in all review panels and in the Joint Student-Teacher Committee.